Saturday, January 11, 2014

Making Ten Frames More Concrete + Freebie

I love ten frames.  They help students build a number sense around the number ten.  Through use of the ten frame, students begin to view numbers in terms of the relationship to ten.  A full ten frame is automatically ten and when any of the dots are missing, it will be less than ten.  They are great for building a student's confidence in mental math. 

I also use 5 as a benchmark.  I teach students to recognize that there are five whenever the top row is full.  They are then able to count on from 5 without counting each dot.

Although ten frames work wonderfully for many students, sometimes just using the ten frame on paper is not enough.  I have had several students who needed to fill a ten frame with actual objects.  I first tried using a ten frame on paper and having the students place manipulatives within each square.  However, the concept still did not seem to click for them.  They needed an actual ten frame that they could pick up and that would only hold one object in each box.

I needed something cheap and accessible.  I came up with using an egg carton.  I cut off two of the cups and the top and I had and instant ten frame.  I spray painted or painted mine, so they were more exciting. 
I started making a math version of my alphabet scavenger hunts.  It includes ten frames, numerals, and object cards up to 20.  Students are able to move around the room to find numerals, ten frames, or to count penguins. Students trace or write the numeral, add circles to a ten frame, or identify the sum of an addition sentence. Students can use a wand to really focus in on the numbers or objects.  You can pick up a FREE set of penguin focus wands here.
I wanted to be able to extend that learning with the egg carton ten frames.  I set up a center with egg carton ten frames, the penguin ten frame cards from the scavenger hunt (you can use any ten frame cards), some manipulatives, and some crayons or markers.  Students would draw a card from the pile and recreate the ten frame in the egg carton. 

 I reinforce that building the ten frame is just like reading.  You start at the beginning (on the left) fill up spaces all the way to the end of the ten frame and then return to the beginning on the next line. 
You can use any type of manipulative.  In the picture above we used ping pong balls.  They fit perfectly into each egg carton space.  We have also used puff balls, cotton balls, unifix cubes, little seasonal erasers.
After the student counts the circles in the ten frame and fills the ten frame to match the card, they will find the matching numeral on the extension worksheet.  They will then recreate the ten frame, by drawing circles.  The reason I love this activity is that it gives students an opportunity to learn with their hands.  They are able to physically build the number, before being asked to represent the number on paper.   
The egg carton ten frames are not only useful with students just beginning to learn about numbers and ten frames, they can help students who need more concrete learning experiences.  They are very helpful for students who learn through hands on experiences.

A student that I worked with in second grade was struggling with the concepts of ten and ten frames.  He needed to truly grasp the concept of ten to be able to move on to identifying tens and ones when working with expanded form and larger numbers. 

We went back to the basics.  We worked with our ten frame egg cartons and you could see the light bulb go off!  By physically putting a manipulative into each part of the egg carton, he began to see that filling it up made a ten.  We worked a lot on how many more would he would need to create a "full" ten.  This helped in so many ways.  He began to use the ten frame as a benchmark for 10 and he was able to identify 5 and use that as a benchmark. 

Eventually, we used the egg carton ten frames as base ten blocks.  I ate a lot of eggs, so we would be able to have at least 10 sets of ten frames.  Using these egg cartons as base ten blocks, allowed him to physically fill each space and realize that he was creating a 10 each time he filled an entire egg carton.  Any left over manipulatives were "ones".  By giving him an opportunity to kinesthetically fill the "tens", it made the learning concrete and more meaningful.

He was able to use these egg carton ten frames to identify tens and ones, to aid in addition and subtraction, the list goes on and on.

I just wanted to share this idea that has made learning so much easier for many of my students.  It is an inexpensive way to get students to interact with ten frames on a more concrete level.  AND, it's fun!!

Leave me a comment below and let me know what has worked for you to make your teaching more concrete and hands on.  Do you have an experience where you could see the "light bulb" come on for one of your kiddos?  Leave your email and next week I will choose one lucky comment and send you my penguin math scavenger hunt or my snowball addition unit.  Both are hands on and get the students moving.  I can't wait to see what you all have to say!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Penguin-Math-Scavenger-Hunt-Numerals-Ten-Frames-Counting-and-Cardinality-1048185

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Snowball-Addition-Addition-to-20-Number-Lines-Missing-Addends-Common-Core-1018066

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
 This post is part of the Math Madness Linky hosted by Teaching Momster!
To find more posts about ten frames click this picture:

19 comments:

  1. I Looooove it!!!! You are clever! Nikki --trolycar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fantastic idea for my kinders! We were just doing matching numbers, number words, tens/ones, and ten frames yesterday. I'm adding this next week (as soon as I can get some empty egg cartons)! Thank you so much for the idea! schoolteacherone@ec.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I have some students in my first grade class, who still struggle with identifying how many things are in a ten frame. I think that this would definitely help them. I will try it next week and let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing your idea. jessgreen529@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely let me know how it goes! I would love to hear how it works out :)
      Laura

      Delete
  4. OMG!! What an 'EGG'-cellent idea! I am typing up my 'please donate egg cartons to our classroom' note right now- and scrambled eggs for everyone for breakfast today!!! We are working on reading a 10 frame now so this is PERFECT to integrate into my math centers!!! Gotta go take a peek at your pack!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up! I'm so glad that you can use it in your class. I'm sure those kiddos will love playing with egg cartons! Who can resist???

      Delete
  5. THIS IS AWESOMLY EGG-cellent! I can't wait to put into a center for my kinder kiddos to work with and to see them master the skill. Thank you for being so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! I am loving all this sweet and useful feedback! This is part of what keeps me creating :)

      Delete
  6. I love ten frames and have used them often with kiddo's as I am big on providing hands on learning, but never thought to use egg cartons it is such a fabulous idea!! It moves away from fiddly counters to something they can easily handle. This idea is going in my resources (as soon as I can collect enough egg cartons LOL) and I have added your pack to my wish list! I look forward to learning more from you as you write more posts>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am just getting into the groove of blogging. I have a lot to learn, so I hope that there is some useful ideas here and there along the way! Thanks for your sweet feedback and support. It makes me smile!!

      Delete
  7. I put everyone's name in a hat and my daughter drew Jessica Adams! I will be emailing Jessica :) Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It really makes me smile to hear from other teachers! Thanks!!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use egg cartons too! I love them. Yours are so cute, I am going to spray paint mine immediately! Mine look like they are falling apart and some have egg stain on them haha (gross). Your penguin stations look super cute!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany- Spray paint is the "bling" factor! It definitely gets their attention :) At this point, I have so many egg cartons that I have seasonal colors :) Also, I LOVE the silver, gold, etc. I love bright.
      I definitely have had the egg stain, too. That is actually how I came up with the idea. Wanted to cover the nastiness :) Have a great day!
      Laura

      Delete
  9. You're a great teacher--way to meet the children where they are! I'm coming back to this post again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather- You just made my entire week! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I really needed to hear that today :) I can't say thank you enough!!!!
      Laura

      Delete
  10. These are so cute! Can't wait to print and use! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so welcome! Thanks for taking the time to let me know :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Pin It