Saturday, July 1, 2017

15 Ways to Inspire Outdoor Play


15 Ways to Inspire Outdoor Play

What Are Your Kids Doing This Summer?

As a child, summertime was a magical time. We went outside early in the morning and didn’t come back inside until dinner. I want my kids to experience that same magical, summertime outdoor play… Easier said, than done.

outdoor play ideas for kidsMy kids get to choose one week of summer camp for the entire summer. The rest of the time, they are home with me.  I love having the luxury of staying home with my kids in the summer; however, it does require some creativity to keep my sanity.

Limit Screen Time

We’ve all heard that too much technology can have a detrimental effect on the health and well being of children. One month week into summer, I feel the temptation to give into the temporary quiet of screen time. At the one month mark, the novelty of summer has worn off and I begin to hear the inevitable “We have nothing to do…”

This year I am going to be prepared! I’ve teamed up with Joe Black, from Nature Rated, to share some great outdoor activities to preempt the “nothing-to-do” summer comments. Can’t wait to get the kids into some outdoor play!

Let’s Get Outside

While I am a crafting fool, I recognize the importance of and joy in getting outside. I still love digging for worms with my kids, exploring in the woods, and spending hours catching frogs and minnows. My kids love to do all of these things, too. However, they often need a little direction getting an activity started.

Joe, at Nature Rated, understands this all too well and has put together an infographic with 15 Summer activities to help your kids appreciate nature. From baking a blackberry pie to constructing a pond or insect hotel, there’s plenty of ideas for summer fun. Head on over to his site for step-by-step instructions on ways to get your kids outside this summer. Put these activities in your back pocket, for those “I’m bored” days!

15 Summer activities to help your kids appreciate nature

Check out more ways to interact with nature over at Joe’s blog, Nature Rated!

Do you have more ideas for nature fun? I’d love to hear about them. Leave me a comment and let me know how you keep your kids excited all summer!

Want some crafts & learning ideas for summer?

Get busy with some sensory table fun.

Life cycle of a frog with sensory table

Check out some summer math activities.

Hands on addition gamesHands-on addition activity with shells

 

Check out some crafty shark funshark activities for kids

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
An outdoor enthusiast, Joe is the lead editor at Nature Rated; a website which rates and reviews the best outdoor gear for people who quickly want to know what to get. He believes in no fluff, to the point reviews, which help you choose the right gear for your next adventure.
Joe Black nature enthusiast from Nature Rated
Whenever daily life gets him down he heads to the nearest lake or river with his kayak and camera spending time recharging his batteries.
 
Follow on Bloglovin
 
Laura from Differentiation Station Creations


No comments:

Pin It