Friday, March 28, 2014

"Spring Has Sprung and Games Are Fun" Blog Hop + FREEBIE

 
From March 28th to March 31st you will hop from blog to blog to learn about a fun game, grab a freebie!
Everybody learns best when they are having fun.  I know this is true for myself, as well as, every child I have ever worked with.  What better way to encourage learning, than to use games!  I have teamed up with some amazing bloggers to share some fun ideas to use with your kids! 

I wanted to make something fun that centered around my favorite food- DONUTS!  To add to the fun, I wanted to add one of my favorite characters the "Old Lady"!  I created a set of "Roll, Add, and Cover" Games centered around the "Old Lady" that swallowed some donuts!  This packet includes "Roll, Add, & Cover" games, "Roll, Add, and Color" printables, recording sheets, and extension worksheets. The skills include adding 2 numbers, doubles, and adding 3 numbers.  Click here to see the pack. 
What I love about "Roll, Add, & Cover" games is that students can use mental math or manipulatives to aid in solving the problems.  Below is an example of adding doubles.  The students rolled a 4 and then made two rows of 4.  He was able to count the unifix cubes and is also building a foundation for multiplication, without even knowing it!
If you are trying to save ink, you can use the "Roll, Add, and Color" games.  These are just as much fun, especially if you use Bingo dabbers.  It is exactly the same concept, except students are coloring the sum, instead of covering it.  Below, is an example of adding 3 numbers.
Pick up a Free Sample of the "Roll, Add, & Color" games here.  I would love to hear what you think of it!!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Free-Sample-Delicious-Donuts-Roll-Add-Color-1179538
I'm also sharing a Free: Donut Missing Addend game.  Missing addends is a difficult concept for so many kids.  I try to use a number of hands on activities to try and help some of my students grasp the concept.  This center focuses on finding the missing addends for 10.  There are donut mats 0+_=10 to 10+_=10, donut manipulatives, and a recording sheet.  I have some students who are able to use the donut manipulatives to find the answer.  They are able to "count on" from the first number.  Other students needed help from a magnetic ten frame with double sided counters.  You can get a free template here.  Students would build the first number on the ten frame and see how many spaces are left.
 
I have another student that really needed to be able to slide the donuts back and forth.  She needed to physically clip the addition sign to the hanger to separate the two groups of numbers.  You can find detailed instructions on building the hanger manipulative here.
I attached the hanger to the back of a chair by using a hair band and a clothespin.  Simple, but it worked!
I have one more idea to share that is great for kinesthetic learners! 

I love class number lines.  I love how students are able to really interact with the numbers, by walking forward and backward on the number line.  Students are also able to visually and physically feel the different amount of space between two numbers.  Fore example, students can try jumping from number 1 to 2.  It is an easy hop.  Then, have them try to hop from 1 to 10.  This is a great, concrete way to see the differences in spaces between numbers.  You can use any thing to make your number line: construction paper, foam shapes, ANYTHING!!
You can see my donut number line in action here. 
 
I hope that your students enjoy the donut games!  It is some great, fat-free fun :)  Don't forget to visit the rest of the "Spring Has Sprung & Games Are Fun" Blog hop. 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Delicious-Donuts-Roll-Add-Cover-Centers-Games-and-Printables-1144890

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Delicious-Donuts-Addition-to-20-Number-Lines-Missing-Addends-Printables-1154026

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Devouring-Donuts-Number-Line-0-20-Subtraction-Active-Learning-1177212
 
 I have the pleasure of connecting to one of my best blogging buddies!  Jenn from Crayons & Cuties in Kindergarten.  You need to hop on over to check out her amazing freebie!  It will have you bowled over in delight :)
http://crayonsandcutiesinkindergarten.blogspot.com/
http://www.teachingwithnancy.com/t-g-f-weekly-freebie-link-12/
I've also linked up with Classroom Freebie's Manic Monday! 
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
 

Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. YUMMY delicious fun! I love the hanger idea! I saw something similar with pipe cleaners, but this is bigger and better! My students are in for a real treat thanks to your freebies and ideas! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My daughter is begging for me to print out your farm bowling!!! It was an amazing idea!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the post, I found one game unique that construction game, I think it will be very simple for the students to know what exactly it is, they will be going to love it.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Colouring games for kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm glad that you found something useful on the hop :) I found a bunch of great ideas, too!
      Laura

      Delete
  3. I know this is quality based blogs along with other stuff. candy crush it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you find something useful. There are tons of freebies to use in your class or with your kids :)
      Laura

      Delete

Pin It