Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Fruit to Make Dr. Seuss Trees!

I happened to be at the grocery store the other day and came across rambutan.  If you have never heard of this before, it is a cool looking fruit that grows naturally in Southeast Asia.  Click here to find out more about rambutan.  Below is a picture of 2 rambutan and some star fruit.  As you can see, they are spiky and really cool looking.  You can't tell in the picture, but they are a really vibrant red beneath the spikes.
 
Here is a picture of a rambutan that is cut open.  The fruit is squishy and sweet.  My son said that it had the texture of gummy bears.  You have to eat around the seed in the middle.
 When we saw these cool fruits in the store, it immediately reminded me of the truffula trees from "The Lorax", by Dr. Seuss.  I scooped them up and my kids created truffula trees with rambutan.  They cut and decorated the "trunks" and then placed the "leaves" on top.  They really had a good time with it.
 
 Here is a "truffula" tree up close!
 
 We cut them open and experienced a sweet taste unlike any other.
 My son loved them.
 I am so not happy about this picture of me, but I promised my son that I would include the picture that he took.  Don't mind the wrinkles and PJ's.  It was a snow day :)
Anyway, the rambutan was a success.  We got to reread "The Lorax", make our own truffula trees, and eat something new and really fun.  Plus, it is actually good for you!
 
What did you do in honor of Dr. Seuss?  If you got postponed by snow, what are you going to do???

 

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    Wow! That is some really cool, Seuss-ified fruit! I just sent out a link to my followers to come and check out your blog.
    Thanks!
    Apple Tree Learning
    jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Thanks! It tastes really good, too. My daughter wouldn't eat it, but my son was happy to eat them all :) Thanks for sharing!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Pin It